Mr. James Silver is a Partner in the Firm’s Fort Lauderdale office. Mr. Silver’s practice focuses on bankruptcy, insolvency work, creditors’ rights, and other bankruptcy-related areas of law. Mr. Silver also handles the extensive litigation relating to such matters. Additionally, Mr. Silver handles complex commercial litigation matters. Mr. Silver has over 30 years’ experience practicing law and has been rated AV Preeminent® by Martindale-Hubbell® since 1992.
Mr. Silver joined the Firm in 2007 hailing from a prominent state-wide firm, where he headed the firm’s Miami bankruptcy practice. During his tenure at that firm, Mr. Silver was appointed Receiver by the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida, in connection with an S.E.C. Enforcement Action involving a $20 million plus Ponzi scheme and the fraudulent sale of unregistered securities.
While in law school and before graduating in the top 3% of his class, Mr. Silver was Associate Research Editor of the University of Miami Law Review.
- Broward County Bar Association, Member, since 2008
- American Bar Association, Member, since 2004
- Florida Bar, Business Law Section, Member, since 2001
- Florida Bar, Business Law Section, Bankruptcy and U.C.C. Committee, Member, since 2001
- Florida Appellate Court Rules Committee, prior member
- Representing over 80 victim clients in all facets of Rothstein Rosenfeld Adler, P.A. Chapter 11 Bankruptcy case relating to a multi-billion dollar Ponzi scheme perpetrated by the law firm’s CEO and 50% owner Scott Rothstein.
- Represented diverse group of plaintiffs seeking recovery of over $225 million in investor losses resulting from a billion dollar structured settlement Ponzi scheme. This nationally publicized case focused on Toronto Dominion Bank’s (TD Bank) role in facilitating this criminal enterprise asserting novel claims that the Bank willfully aided and abetted the Ponzi fraud. After months of litigation, the matter was resolved through settlement resulting in our clients receiving the highest percentage recovery for victims entangled in a Ponzi scheme
- Court appointed Receiver in connection with S.E.C. Enforcement Action relating to $22 million (approx.) Ponzi scheme and oversaw extensive investigation and litigation relating to fraudulent scheme, dissipation of assets, and fraudulent transfers.
- Represented Receiver in telecommunications corporation receivership, a matter relating to a fraudulent wireless cable venture.
- Represented unsecured Creditors Committee and Liquidating Trustee in connection with the bankruptcy of one of the largest wholesale distributors of brand-name fragrances in the United States, oversaw investigation and handled related litigation arising from alleged fraudulent scheme relating to $65 million line of credit and alleged inflating of sale for S.E.C. filings.
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®, since 1992
- Selected by the Daily Business Review as “Most Effective Lawyer” in the Bankruptcy Catergory, 2013
- Listed in South Florida Legal Guide, “Top Lawyers”, 2007
- University of Miami Law Review, Associate Research Editor, 1982
Publications/Teaching & Speaking Engagements
- Florida Receiver’s Forum, Speaker